MUC Ph.D. of Ethnology﹒Anthropology in English
Name of specialty: Ethnology﹒Anthropology
Credit system: 3 years
Tuition fee: yuan (RMB)
As early as 1983, Minzu University of China has been authorized to confer doctorate degree, and the major of ethnology﹒anthropology has been rated as a state-level key discipline in 1984.
1. The goal of the programme is to nurture high-level innovative professionals who gain competence in ethnology﹒anthropology through acquiring basic anthropological knowledge, theories and research methods, so as to conduct anthropological investigation or project independently. The programme focuses on and is featured with teaching and researches on anthropological theories and methods, history and cultures of Chinese ethnic minorities, modernity of Chinese ethnicities.
2. Ph.D. students in ethnology﹒anthropology are supervised by both their supervisors correspondingly and a professional team of supervisors, so that the students can gain a systematical knowledge of anthropology and develop skills in scientific researches. Hence, lecturing by teachers is integrated with self-study and discussion instructed by supervisors, and application of theories and skills acquired on campus in social practice is stressed.
3. Supervisors pay close attention to encourage students to study and do research voluntarily and actively. Both supervisors and the university create good conditions for students to take participation in researches, academic lectures, seminars, conferences and social practice, during which students’ skills and abilities in research are expected to be enhanced greatly.
4. Physically and mentally healthy.
1. The TOEFL iBT score of 70 points at least, or IELTS score at least 5.5, or the relevant certificates of English as the working and learning language for university study.
2. Possess master degree or above.
3. Provide master diploma notarized copies and the score report’s transcripts or notarized copies of master courses. When the diploma is neither Chinese nor English, you should provide notarized Chinese or English translated document.
4. Provide research and study plan in China (1500 words at least), written in Chinese or English. The main research areas include but not limited to: anthropological theories and methodology; branches of anthropology; and anthropology and contemporary society (such as cultural industries; societal and cultural studies on Chinese ethnicities; religious and cultural studies; comparative studies on Chinese and Western cultures; Chinese border studies, and so on).
5. Provide recommendation letters by two professionals with the title of professors or associate professors.
1. Curriculum Requirements:
The basic duration of study for ethnology﹒anthropology Ph.D. programme is 3 years. It can be extended to 6 years at most. The Ph.D. course requires 18 total credits. In order to intensify the learning and practice of Chinese, overseas students are encouraged to take some Chinese optional courses.
2. Research Requirements:
2.1 Research or academic activities:
Every Ph.D. student is required to conduct research, participating in at least one official project charged by his or her supervisor. Or every Ph.D. student should attend the national or international academic conference at least once, at which he or she should make presentation or hand in paper(s). Or every Ph.D. student should give academic lectures at least twice in a school of MUC or at a higher level of institution.
2.2 Social practice:
Social practice is compulsory and is taken as 1 credit. The social practice should be made under instruction of supervisor. This practice can also be in diversified forms, such as investigation, teaching or internship.
2.3 Academic lecture and seminar:
At least 10 times of lectures or seminars related to anthropological themes should be attended by every student. A comprehensive report about those lectures or seminars should be sent to supervisor to examine before the oral examination of research proposal is taken.
2.4 Research proposal:
The oral examination of research proposal should be taken by the end of the second semester or in the middle of the third semester. If the examination fails for the first time, another one should be taken again in 1 to 3 months.
The comprehensive examination of Ph.D. candidates should focus on literature readings. The form of examination is decided by supervisors respectively. A candidate can apply for oral examination of research proposal only after passing the comprehensive examination.
3. Dissertation Requirements:
3.1 Writing of dissertation：
A dissertation clearly reflects the quality and academic level of the Ph.D. programme. Every Ph.D. candidate should write dissertation independently, supervised jointly by his or her own supervisor and the team of supervisors. A qualified dissertation should have originality.
3.2 Oral debate:
After all the sectors of ethnology﹒anthropology Ph.D. programme and the writing of dissertation have been completed, the candidate, with supervisor’s agreement, can apply for an oral debate after the graduate school has checked that the student is qualified.
I. Chinese Ethnography
Part 1 Xinjiang Studies
Part 2 Tibetan Studies
Part 3 Studies on Ethnic Groups in Northwest China
Part 4 Studies on Ethnic Groups in Southwest China
Part 5 Studies on Ethnic Groups in Northeast China
Part 6 Studies on Ethnic Groups in Southeast China
II. Anthropological Theory and Methodology
III. Ethnicity and Nationalism
Part 1 Ethnicity and Ethnic Studies
Part 2 Nationalism Theories
IV. Case Studies of Social Research in Ethnic Areas
V. Classic Readings in Anthropology of China Studies
In addition to the well-established scholars in our school, famous scholars across the world also participate in teaching. In the past, quite a few well-known anthropologists have taught here. Among them are Prof Dimiter Tzvetanov Tzanev from Sofia University, Prof Roberto Malighetti from University of Milano -Bicocca, Prof Dru C. Gladney from Pomona College and Prof Lisette Josephides from Queen’s University, to name a few.
Graduate Degree: Doctor of Philosophy
Contact Information: +86-10-6893 0328 (School of Ethnology and Sociology, MUC)